Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Regrets

Anyone who tells you they have no regrets is either a fool or a liar.  I've done quite a few things that, looking back with the advantage of hind sight, I regret having done.  On the flip side, with that 20-20 vision of hind sight, there are thing I did not do I wish I had done.  If we are at all honest with ourselves, we all have regrets.  And, the longer we live, the more regrets we have.

I have no intention of detailing my regrets here as that is not what this is about.  It is just about being human and making mistakes or being human and thinking we want something we really don't.  Or, just striving and falling short.

I have a friend I've known for a couple of decades who says she has no regrets.  She says she does not allow herself to have regrets.  I think she is full of $%^&.  You can try to hide from your feelings and you can try to suppress your feelings but they are there and eating their way through all your imaginary walls.  Sooner or later everybody has to face them.

I know my dad had regrets and I know he had a difficult time in dealing with them. I know I have regrets and I think I may have an easier time dealing with them as, besides me, there are less than a dozen people in this world I even remotely care what their opinion of me is.  The rest and just go do something anatomically impossible.

Why is today a day for regrets?  I don't know but it is foggy, damp and ugly outside today.  I cannot go outside my front door without hacking and gagging.  My chest hurts when taking a deep breath more than it has since I stopped smoking much more than a decade ago.  But, when one's body is acting up it makes one think of the past and the, possibly limited, future. 

Now I'm going to head to work since the sun has come out and I may be able to breathe.  Filled with pain pills so I can walk.  Don't ever let anyone lie to you.... getting old sucks.

1 comment:

  1. I think, when people claim to have no regrets, what they mean is they do not dwell on their regrets. I regret things, but also don't. Had I don't it differently, would I like the outcome better? Wouldn't I have just done some other regrettable thing?

    Mostly, my regrets are the things I did not do, as you said.

    ReplyDelete