Friday, February 17, 2012

Pies and Cobblers

I have often wondered what the actual difference is between a pie and a cobbler.  Well, at least the fruit kind.  There just seems to be dome fruit relegated to one or the other.  I wonder what the reasoning is.  We have blackberry cobbler but rarely ever a blackberry pie.  We have a  strawberry pie but very rarely a strawberry cobbler.  They are so similar, though.  They are both just a concoction of fruit in a pan surrounded by pie crust.

I guess the only ones I can think of that are good for both cobblers and pies are apple and peach.  I don't know what the reason is and I cannot explain the difference but I like cobblers better than I like pies and I love pies.

I guess you can tell I've been watching a lot of pie making shows on the food networks. As well, my youngest just made a vanilla custard pie.  (My personal all time favorite).  It has just been a good week to think about pies and pie making.

Maybe, one thing that differentiates pies and cobblers for me is what one eats with them.  Pies demand vanilla ice cream while cobblers demand cold, sweet milk.  At least for me it does.  And, most especially blackberry cobbler. 

My wife does not like to make them at home because we just eat them with no restraint at all but every once in a while I do prevail on her to make me a good, blackberry cobbler.  Hot cobbler and cold, sweet milk... yum.

All of this has been making me want to make a pie at home.  I guess I'd try out an apple pie.  I have made many a pie crust in my day but, today, I'd just buy one at the grocery.  Most of them are just as good as the homemade ones.  I may have to break down and do that instead of bread one weekend soon.

Pies and cobblers are so much better than candy or cakes.  At least, I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment