Thursday, March 29, 2012

Red River

There is a place in Eastern Kentucky called the Red River Gorge.  It is a beautiful place if you enjoy scening overlooks, natural bridges, nice hiking trails and things like that.  It is about a forty-five minute drive from where I lived in Johnson County and is near the Natural Bridge State Park.  Used to go there on weekends a lot with my (now) ex-wife.  We'd stay in a little hole-in-the-wall motel and go vor hikes for a couple of days.  Just an absolutely beautiful location.

But there are lots of very high places with very LONG drops for those who are not careful and those who choose to mix alcohol and high places.  We always heard of two or three people falling to their deaths there each summer.

Places like Rock Bridge (my work desktop), Sky Bridge, Angel Arches linger in my memories.  I read this is the second largest natural gorge next to The Grand Canyon in the US.  But it is not baren;  it is covered with trees from top to bottom and filled with streams.

I'm really glad I had the opportunity to experience being there though the last time I was there was many years ago now and I'm not able to walk enough distance to ever go back.  But each and every trail I've travelled will live on in my memory as long as my memories live.

1 comment:

  1. It's odd and also somehow comforting to think of you and mom hiking trails.

    ReplyDelete