Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Night Alone

This is Mother's Day weekend.  My wife is at Myrtle beach with her daughter and her daughter's mother-in-law.  So, I have the house all to my self.  I have the weekend all to myself.  My big plans?  I'm going to eat stuff I shouldn't, read books on the Kindle and play Asheron's Call on the PC.

Heather should remember AC because of the drudges.  When I would "kill" one it would make a cry like a "strangled cat" she always said.

Over the years I've always enjoyed being alone and having the house to myself but for some reason, tonight, I'm missing my wife.  That is strange as when she is here she spends her time in the living room watching that TV and I spend my time in my "office" playing games and reading Kindle books.  Then I go to bed and sync the Kindle up and read until I have to go to sleep.  Its not like we spend all our time together yet I find when she is not here I miss her.  I don't sleep well the first night she is away and hope to make up for it the second night.

Seems like I hear every little creak and crack the house makes and my imagination runs rampant with intruders all over the place though we live in a fairly safe neighborhood.

I used to love being alone.  I guess I still do as I have no one to nag me when I do things that are not good for me.  Like tonight I fried up some bacon and chopped up a head of leaf lettuce and a bunch of green onions.  I put the lettuce and onions in a bowl, crumbled up the bacon and poured the bacon grease (supplemented with olive oil) over that.  When I was growing up we called it "killed" lettuce.

I love it.  But, I don't get to eat it unless I can sneak it in when I'm home alone.  And I must have an air freshener to hide the frying aromas or I won't hear the end of it.  LOL  In the mooring I'm going to make bacon then fry some thinly sliced potatoes with onion in the bacon grease for my breakfast and tomorrow night I have some more leaf lettuce and onions to use.  I know they are not good for me but I do love them.

That kind of brings up a philosophical question of "quantity" of life vs "quality" of life.  Seems most people (including all doctors) think quantity of life is all important.  Anything one does to enjoy life that might not be conducive to quantity of life is frowned upon.  In my life I have witnessed my sister bed fast for years, my mother bed fast for  years, my father bed fast for years.  And I don't want that for me.  I want to go fast without being a burden on anyone by lingering on. 

Quantity of life is good, but what if there is no quality in that quantity?  What good is it to linger on when all joy in living is gone?  So, when I get the chance I fix the foods I love even though I know they are bad for my physical health but wonderful for my mental health.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to fry bacon, fry some potatoes and an egg and enjoy a breakfast I should not have and there is no one here to scold me but me.  And me wants it.  :-)  I guess that is want air freshener is for.

1 comment:

  1. I am so your child. I love having the house to myself to read and dance to my music and eat exactly what I want and catch up on TV shows and take nice naps. However, once I am in my bed for the night, I want Corey home. He doesn't even have to be in the bed, just him being in the house makes me sleep peacefully.

    ReplyDelete