Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Mirror Lies

I'm getting older.  Sad but true fact.  I can tell I am getting older because when I walk by a mirror I think my dad is standing there.  The mirror lies though.  That is  not my dad and it most definitely not me!  I don't feel like that old man I see looking back at me.

OK, I do find myself having the same failings of old age my parents and grandparents complained about when I was much younger and did not understand at all.  You know, favorite topic of conversation is my aches, pains and illnesses; who died; what any one of my plethora of doctors just charged me.

Wow, I can remember things that happened thirty years ago better than what happened thirty minutes ago.  I go into rooms and forget why I'm there.  I dress and (don't) shave in ways that aggravate my wife because, honestly, who is going to give a flying f*&%.

Yes, all that is true.  Still, inside, I'm not that old man in the mirror.  I'm me.  I'm the same person I've always been.  Well,  no, now I lie.  I've changed so many ways from who I was before I practically don't know myself.

Time, how hath thou changed me? Let me count the ways...

For close to thirty years I AVERAGED reading a book a day.  Now I can read for, maybe, an hour without going to sleep.  I used to be GLUED to anything on TV that had to do with a ball that bounced, was thrown, kicked or smacked with a racket or club.  Now I don't even watch any professional sport.  Mostly I only watch my UK Wildcats and then I often just turn it off and read about the game the next day.  Right now I find women's college gymnastics about the most interesting sport and that is not even because of the quite skimpy uniforms on attractive young women.  Just when did attractive young women in skimpy attire lose its attraction?  OK, THAT is a sure sign of old age!

To be  honest there are many things which bring home to me just how old I'm getting and how much my age has changed me.  Still, it comes as a complete shock every time I see myself in a mirror. Surely, the mirror lies.  That old  man can't be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment