Monday, July 23, 2012

One More Spring Knob Tower Story

When we lived at Spring Know Tower I was from four to seven years old.  That would make my older brother from sixteen to nineteen years old.   For such a short time there were a lot of things happened there I recall.

This one is about a Cardinal (Red Bird) which kept flying into the window.  It happened for days at a time until my Dad who believed that shooting something was the answer to everything decided to kill it.  I was horrified.  I could not understand how anyone would just shoot a little bird.  My mother tried to explain it to me but I just could not understand.

Did not really matter as my Dad shot it anyhow no matter how much I cried and begged.  Crying and begging never had much influence on my parents.  They knew what they knew and what I thought or felt made damned all difference to either of them.

Nothing special I suppose but I still remember it pretty clearly something like fifty-four years later.  Then, I remember a lot about those few years spent there.   It was a place and time built for memories.  Sometimes I wish I could go back there but it is gone now.  I have been back as close as it is possible to come but strip mining has taken the top hundred or more feet from the top of the hill and where the house and tower were are gone.  I guess those few tons of coal were worth all my memories.  At least they were to someone.

1 comment: