Friday, July 20, 2012

Past Lives

Some people believe in reincarnation and/or transmigration of the soul.  I'm not sure what I believe in regards to that but there have been some mighty peculiar things happen where small children remember past lives.

I, myself, do not remember any past life but I have thought of some things dealing with karma and past lives that make me believe there are a few things about past incarnations I may have lived.  Mostly it has to do with fears.  Most everyone fears death and it does not matter much how it comes.  Me, I want to go to sleep and just not wake up.  Either that or barbiturates and alcohol.

The first thing I believe I was in a past life was a sailor.  Not just a sailor but a sailor who drowned.  I have this horrible, morbid fear of drowning.  Drowning frightens me more than death it self.  My father and my brother were both in the Navy.  When I joined the military I joined the Army.  You could not have PAID me to join the navy.  I can't swim and I'm deathly afraid of deep water.  If you're drowning and I'm right there don't wait for me to jump into water over my head as that is not happening.

My second great fear is hanging.  If I'm ever found hanged don't let the cops put it down to suicide.  I would NEVER hang myself.  Barbiturates and alcohol, maybe, but hanging... NEVER.  I must have been a murderer or horse thief or something which resulted in hanging.  When a movie comes on which has a hanging scene I have to leave the room.    In fact, executions in general bother me.  Now don't mistake it as I'm not opposed to capital punishment for there are human animals who just need to be put down.  I find no good reason to use my tax dollars to give them room, board, medical care, color tv's etc while I'm working my butt off to provide a home and food for a family.  Fry'em.  But I just cannot help imagining being on death row and knowing that one date on the calendar is the end.  Must be horrible.

The third thing I figure is I must have really treated women badly.  Lord, if that is the case, I have surely paid for that by now.  Enough is enough.  Its not that I've been particularly exemplary in this life time but...  Just how much do you want from me?  :-)

That brings me to the prospect of a next life and what I'd love to be in that.  I guess it depends on whether or not our civilization has been destroyed or has continued to grow and advance.  If it has grown and advanced I'd want to be on the crew of a star ship.  Really, I'd prefer to own my own star ship and see all the wonders of the universe.

Second, I'd love to go to a world where magic is real and be a powerful (the most powerful :-) Hey, dream big) wizard.  Not so much for the pure power but I'd love to be a teacher who was able to help people advance in medicine and hygiene and things like that to help avoid those useless deaths that always are happening in a primitive society.

And last, I'd want to be rich beyond dreams of avarice so I could do precisely what I want without thinking of expense or other hurdles.  Throw enough money at any hurdle and it becomes a minor bump on the road your Caddy won't even notice as it rolls on.

Lives, past and future... I wonder if they exist or if this is all there is and it is like Tony Soprano said about dying, "Everything just goes blank".  I tend to think that is the truth of it.  Still, there are a lot of things that have happened that are not explained by that view.   Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. We are so much alike. I've told Corey many times that I want to be rich enough to not think about money or poor enough that there's no use in thinking about money.

    Also, the drowning thing has been passed down to me. What's funny is YOU taught me to swim? I will get in a pool now, but I rarely take more than a few steps into the ocean or any other natural body of water. They are unpredictable and that scares me. Not to mention, there are creatures in the water that do not want me in their water, or else they are happy to see me for dinner. I say, quite often, I hope to die in my sleep. If I am to die a violent death, I pray it is sudden and I never see it coming. The feeling of fear is terrifying to me. I don't watch scary movies or visit haunted houses. There is nothing fun about being scared enough to pee my pants, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete