Monday, September 19, 2011

Wendy's hamburgers

I grew up in a very isolated part of eastern Kentucky.  We had one place that would typically today be identified as "fast food".   It was the Dairy Queen on Broadway.   It was only open nine months out of the year back then so in the winter we were without a fast food option.

Of course that changed over the course of time.  But I remember the absolute culture shock when I first ventured into a McDonald's on a trip down I-75 to Florida.  I went in as I had been witness to all those commercials over the years and asked for my "normal" burger.  Cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise.  Much to my shock and disbelief I found they did not have lettuce, tomato or mayonnaise.  Just mustard, onion and pickles.  I got one and, needless to say, it was just as dry, tasteless and completely devoid or redeeming characteristics then as now.

But when Wendy's finally came to Paintsville I was in "hog heaven".   Big, juicy burgers with plenty of lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise.  Yes, baby!!!  Give me two triples with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise , large fries and a large frosty.   Hey, this is not joke.  Back then that was my Wendy's order.  Of course now it's a single with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.  NO frosty.  NO fires.  MAYBE something to drink but mostly I'm going home.  And, honestly, mostly I go to Wendy's since I can turn left at the light, right into the parking lot, then out the back and come back to the light with a straight shot across and back home. 

But, this morning I came across an article on Yahoo regarding Wendy's changing their signature burger for the very first time since the franchise began back in 1969.  ("Was the summer of '69..."  Pardon me... old rock flashback there.)   I know  there is just not one whole heck of a lot one can say about a burger.  Beef and bun at it's core with optional toppings and condiments.   Here it is late in 2011 and they have been spending massive time, effort and money on researching these changes since 2009.  

 http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cant-reinvent-burger-remake-094352326.html

I mean, "a pickle chemist was consulted".     " So, executives were shipped off to eat at burger joints around the country to measure burger characteristics like fatty flavor, salty flavor and whether the bun fell apart."

"Among the proposed changes were some golden nuggets. Tasters said they wanted a thicker burger, so Wendy's started packing the meat more loosely, trained cooks to press down on the patties two times instead of eight and printed "Handle Like Eggs" on the boxes that the patties were shipped in so they wouldn't get smashed. "

Okay, so no more meat just pack what we have more loosely to make it look thicker.   Yep, that is just what the consumer wants out of a burger.  Oh, and when you get to the end you find out they are also changing the prices.  Guess whether it is going up or down.  Uh huh.   Okay everyone act surprised.

I suggest you read the entire article.  It is quietly amusing how far Wendy's went to give us a new burger.  Oh holy Wendy's we are not worthy.  We are not worthy.  Makes me feel obligated to go get at least one just to see if there is even any discernible  difference. 

Well, the wife has a late doctor's appointment today as well as an even later hair appointment.  Might be the day to fight the humongous crowd (yeah, right) at Wendy's and try that new sucker out.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment