Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Vienna Sausages

Those things have been a staple of my life since I can recall.  Now I know they are called "Vienna" sausages like the Austrian city.  But, growing up they were always referred to as "vi'eenie" sausages or, mostly just vi'eenie. 

I've spent a lot of time existing on a can of vi'ennie and some saltines.  When I was growing up the only saltines we ever had were Zesta (pronounced, by us, Zestie) crackers.  I've tried them a few times in the past several years and cannot eat them.  Only have Premium saltines now.    Early on I did not care for it but now I like to have some onion with my sausages and crackers.

First time I worked for vi'eenie was right after graduating high school (1972).  I stayed with my aunt Dixie at her house in West Van Lear.  I took a job working for Victor Conley in his little store "down in the junction".  He told me I could have lunch free.  I was embarrassed to take much so I'd grab a can of  vi'ennie and some crackers and a bottle of RC cola and that was lunch.  That was not bad as I had nothing much to do all day anyhow.

The other time was when my brother-in-law hired a couple of old men (mid to late 70s') to survey the family property so the heirs could all split it up and he and my sister could have a piece of it that was all their own.

Now most of that property was on the hillsides and the surveyor's stickman nor the surveyor were able to carry that transit all over that hillside.  So, he got me to do it.  And I did it.  I carried that transit all over that hillside.  And, for lunch I had one can of vi-eenie and some crackers.  Right now I don't remember what, if anything, I had to drink.  Probably just some water from the head of the holler (hollow) behind the old house. 

Now, I still like to have them from time to time.  Unhealthy as they are they were a part of my youth and are now a nostalgic trip back to my younger days.  Still, I cannot believe I worked all day climbing up and down those hills on just a can of vi-eenie and some crackers.  Probably did have a good breakfast though.

Sometimes I cooked breakfast when I was staying with my sister and brother-in-law and I always did the dishes.  Sat in the living room of the "old house" all day with the fan turned on playing 500 Rummy with Homer.  Things sure were different back in the late 1960's.

1 comment: