Thursday, December 8, 2011

How to Skin a Cat

I guess we've all  heard the old saying, "There is more than one way to skin a cat".  Sounds kind of cruel but from what I've read this refers to the many ways of skinning a cat fish and not the "meow' kind of cat.  But when I was growing up there was another kind of skinning the cat. 

It was pretty simple, like a basic gymnastics movement, but it was fun for a small child.  To skin a cat you grab a tree limb with both hands then bring your feet up between your arms and turn on over to bring your feet down toward the ground. 

At my grandparent's house on Nat's Creek they had a Quince tree (look up Quince.  I believe it was something like a pear thought this tree bore no fruit to my memory) that had a limb just the perfect size for me to use for skinning a cat.  :-)  And, I did use it extensively.  I've spent many a morning when I should have been in school playing on that tree.

It was on the corner of the bank on the left side of the path that went down past the coal house and towards the creek.  There was some kind of "brushy" bushes behind them though I cannot recall what they were.  Then to the right of the path was a big apple tree.   I think my grandfather had 'spliced' two or maybe three different apples onto this one tree.  I really don't remember for sure but it seems I do remember being told of this.  The apples pretty much sucked but that is what it was.  I preferred them when they were 'green' (un ripe) with salt.  I still must have (lots of ) salt to eat apples.  But, green apples have a special flavor.  Green apples and June apples.  Two of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment