Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Its a Family Thing

That was one of my favorite movies.  Robert Duval and James Earl Jones find out they are half brothers late in life.  Very interesting story.  Now my elder daughter has taken up a passion for our family history.  While not quite as convoluted (to my knowledge) as that one was ours does remain "interesting"

You know all those old jokes you hear about Kentucky and other back wood area about people marrying their cousins?  Well my parents were first cousins.  Gives a little deeper meaning to "kissing cousins" doesn't it?  And, I can attest to the damages this can do to the offspring of such a marriage.  My sister (who was ten years my elder) died at age 36 of Lupus after a ten year struggle.  My elder brother is still living at age 70 though he has severe lung problems as well as other physical ailments.

Up until recently my ailments have all been mental.  But, of late, I'm making up for lost time.  I had Graves Disease in my late20s and have been taking thyroid supplements since then.  Around 30 years now since drinking the radioactive iodine.  Finally got around to telling my doctor about my depressions after I got almost completely non-functional.  That has been a little over fifteen years ago.

Diagnosed with diabetes about fourteen years back.  Due to that I'm taking oral meds, two kinds of insulin, cholesterol meds and about three different drugs for my bad stomach.  Fun, fun, fun.  Especially when I see the total amounts on my credit card statement.  I'm already attached to them for life and this wonderful state of affairs only makes it better.

Just a suggestion for future reference...  Cousins can be very good friends (with benefits even) just make sure that genetic heritage does not get passed on down the line.  It purely is not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment