Friday, April 20, 2012

Growing Roses

Early in my life I never thought much about roses.  They grew almost wild all around.  When I lived at the old house we lived in during my teens there was a huge, old rose bush beyond the end of the porch just before the apple tree and garden.  All I thought of it was it was a pain in the butt to get the lawn mower around.

In the past decade and a half of my life I've tried growing roses around my house.  I've not been very successful.  Between diseases and just plain stubbornness :-) roses just do not want to do well in my yard.  I've planted so many and used so much rose food and disease spray.  I can't even begin to recall how much I've used.

This year I have ordered two climbing roses to try to train to the trellis on the front of the house.  One of them looks to be leafing out and seeking the trellis to start climbing.  The other has green canes but not a single leaf to be seen.   I don't know how much longer I can keep ordering roses and have them just crash and burn.  :-)  At least my lorapetalums are (or at least, should be) the envy of everyone who sees them.

Now if I can just find some roses I can grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment