Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Brief (I hope) Word on This Blog

My elder daughter sent me an email response to one of my posts and stated she hoped I would be around for some time to come as she wanted her sons to have their Papaw influence their lives.  That, in it's own way is kind of scary as who in their right minds would want me to influence anyones's children.  Then, who said anyone in my family was ever in "their right mind"

And, it came to me, this is the whole purpose of this blog.   I really do not think I'm going to live long enough to see my grandchildren as adults, let alone have great grand children.  My grandsons live a good ways away from me and I am not at all able to drive the distance to visit them though I would love to.  My granddaughter lives just across town and I still am not able to drive over there like I wish I could.

I'm afraid my grandchildren are going to know me only from the stories of their parents and the writings I leave here.  And, there are many things I will not write about here and those things must remain mine alone.  A friend once told me that there are some things you take to the grave and I have a few of those and that is what will happen.  Some things  you DO take to the grave.

But, all in all, this place will be for stories of my childhood and stories of the stories I heard from my elders.  I do not propose to say than anything is 100% true but it is as I remember it or as I remember hearing it. 

I do this because I wish I had listened more to my parents and grandparents about their lives instead of just thinking they were just too stupid to live.  Kind of a young person's disease and I had it bad.  So, when they have time and if they have the interest they can read this and see life somewhat from my perspective.  Though, I would not blame their mothers if they forbade this until at least PG mode.  LOL.

But, I love all my grandkids.  May not be around that much but it does not change the way I feel.  And I hope all of them accomplish more in this world than I have and set the bar high for those who come after.

I love you Haydn, David, Eliza and whomever might come after. 

1 comment: