Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sitting Here All Aches and Pains

After my post on perspective I had an interesting email conversation with my elder daughter.  Unfortunately email is how I have most of my conversations with my children and an occasional text message.  That is not their fault at all as I really do hate telephones and consider them just a necessary evil.

I have lots of good telephone stories but they are probably beyond the experience of the modern age.  When I was young the only phone service we  had was a "party line".  Not to be confused with lots of booze and loose women (More the pity) but with multiple people sharing one phone line.  So, if you needed to make a phone call and someone else was on the line  you had to convince them to let you have the line to make the call.  That often did not work out well.

The other facet of "Party Lines" was the entertainment value.  My grandmother (Victoria or Victorie as she was called) loved to eaves drop on other people's conversations.   She was well know for it in fact.  Nobody had a phone conversation without Granny knowing all about it.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, if party lines were around, it would be SO hard not to listen. Do I get my voyeristic nature from Victoria?

    ReplyDelete