Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

November 24th, 2011.  Thanksgiving day.  I wonder how many people are giving thanks for what they have and how many people are just doing what most do on holiday? 

So, let me count my blessings.  Health?  Not hardly.  Hypo-thyroid, clinically depressed, diabetes, massive pain in my lets and hips, stomach that won't keep much of anything down.  Money?  Hardly.  Barely paying my bills every month and the bills are growing much faster than my pay days. 

So, what is there to be thankful for?  So far in this life I've always had  a roof over my head and food on the table.  There are an awful lot of folks in this world who cannot say the same thing. 

I have two beautiful and wonderful daughters whom I love very much.  And, now that they are both mothers themselves they can, perhaps, understand just how much I do love them both.

I have three grandchildren and one step-grand daughter.  I don't see them as often as I should nor as often as I would like but that is life.  Still, I love them all.

I have a wife who puts up with me though she loves to quarrel at me.  I guess that is just a wife's function in life.  Or, maybe I just provide so many opportunities to be quarrelled at....  I'm good at that, if nothing else.

I don't have good health but, so far, I have had the money to pay my doctor bills.  I have a job that bores me to death but they are still paying me. 

Today is a day to give thanks for what we do have not a day for dwelling on those things we may have missed out on.  It is not a day to dwell on problems or "issues".  It is a day to realize we are truly blessed in this country.  We have freedom few in this world know.  Even in the worst of times we have opportunities to better ourselves.  We have opportunities to better the lives of others around us.

Just turn on the news for one night and really pay attention beyond what Justin Beiber has done and look at the world we live in and then look around you.  The USA has many problems but it is still the best place in this world to live. 

I'm thankful for my children, my grand children, my job, my life and my country.  How many people in this world have so much less to be thankful for today?  Too damn many.

1 comment:

  1. I love you Daddy.

    I am thinking, I may periodically have your blog printed as a book (a friend of mine did that with her cabin-building blog, as a gift for the builders). I could design neat covers and keep them for the boys one day.

    ReplyDelete