Sunday, November 13, 2011

Materialism

I think we are all familiar with the material outlook of the inhabitants of this world.  I expect that would explain the expectant materialism of the next world as well.  But it has always presented a conundrum to me.  Tell me what good are streets of gold and sumptuous mansions in the afterlife?

I think it is kind of silly but it seems to be an idea that persists inside and outside religion.  But it seems one constant about religion.  Our rewards in "heaven" are going to be materialistic. (Or at the very least 72 virgins.  Though what good virgins are, I could not tell you.  I'd rather have 72 experienced women.  But, that is just me.)

Man's idea of  heaven, in my opinion, is a mirror to man's failed expectations in life in the real world.  And religion is just a tool of those in power to keep the masses  pacified and subservient.   Seems like to me all religions tell you to be "meek", "obey those in power", "your reward will come AFTER you die"....  How better to enslave a whole population?   How better to keep a downtrodden people from rising up and demanding respect, equality and a share of the good life NOW?

I have stated,and I firmly believe, religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to the human race.  Why we go on screwing up our home (earth, in case you didn't know) and expecting some "Big Daddy in the Sky" to step in and save us from our own greed and stupidity I just don't know.  Maybe it is because I don't make enough money to be a Republican.  Some day (I hope) the people of this planet will come to realize if anything is to be saved for our children and grandchildren then we have to, at least, start it.  NOW.

But we won't.  Americans are wonderful people.  We are inventive, dedicated, innovations people.  But we seem to be content to sit on our thumbs until it is crisis time before we act.  Why?  Why does it have to be a matter of life or death before we will act?   Human nature I suppose.  The American personality for sure.  We always wait until the last minute then rush to fix something with a massive effort when it could have been prevented all together.  Greatest and most powerful nation in the history of this planet but the most self absorbed, selfish and short sighted one as well.

I have grandchildren I hope get to grow up in a world that is not totally effed up beyond all repair though I hold out little hope for that.  I just hope they have an opportunity to survive and advance even though it may not be with all the things our generation has come to know.  I won't be around to see it.  Sometimes that saddens me.  Sometimes I'm grateful.  I love all my children and grandchildren and I wish them all the best.  I just don't hold a very optimistic view of what they are going to have to endure.  Why should I?

No comments:

Post a Comment