Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why Now I Wonder?

I grew up helping my mother in the kitchen.  I've never been afraid of trying out something new in the food line either by making it myself or by trying it while eating out.  But, for the past decade or longer I've felt no desire at all to do things in the kitchen.  Even when I'm home alone I don't cook.  I go for some fast food, order a pizza or eat cheese and crackers.

But, here in just the past couple of months I've developed an urge to do things in the kitchen.  First it was home made bread.  I bought a moderately priced bread machine (with excellent reviews) and have tried several different kinds of bread.

Then I decided I wanted to make some home made jams and/or jellies and found my bread machine has a 'jam' setting on it.  So, I tried out some mixed berry jam.  I think I had too many berries for a  single envelope of pectin as it came out a little on the runny side but the taste is great.  Much better than any store bought jam I've tried.

I've even been thinking about taking a stab at a home made apple pie.  I don't know if I want to make the crust (though I have done that before) or just use a frozen one.  Probably the latter though I will definitely use fresh apples and not any apple filling from a can.

Then I started thinking of making home made sausage.  I don't know why since I don't particularly even like sausage.  I've been perusing all kinds of sausage recipes.  I looked at grinders but I don't want to invest in one right now.  I can just get ground pork or turkey or whatever.  I even saw one recipe for home made bologna.

I'm making myself hungry for breakfast right now.  Have a couple of farm fresh eggs over medium, some fried potatoes (not hash browns),  a couple of sausage patties and hot from the oven biscuits..... I'd be sick as a dog if I ate it but it sure sounds good.

2 comments:

  1. I never did much in the kitchen growing up, but lately I enjoy it much more. Especially sweets. I put some music on my iPad and dance while I cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very informative & i like it
    For more information about Electronic Cigarette Kits

    Thanks for sharing a info .

    ReplyDelete